Friday, March 04, 2016

An Objective Analysis of History

0


Is that too much to ask for? Aren't historians supposed to objectively analyze historical events? To at least have an unbiased way of presenting history.

I did not live through Martial Law. I know people who did and their stories vary. I lived through Agoncillo and Zaide though, especially Zaide. There's the anti-Marcos media, too. The kind of media that still exist up to this day. So, I take offense when the anti-Marcos crowd label us who support Bongbong Marcos (or, have a balanced view on Martial Law or the allegations of corruption, or even the Marcoses as a family) as "ignorant", "stupid", or "having no sense of history". Is that how simplistic these anti-Marcos people are?

Asking for an objective analysis of history especially the controversial ones, does that make me stupid? Does that make me a loyalist? Does that make me a blind follower? Does that make me a revisionist?

I don't think so.

When I say an objective analysis of history, I speak of Philippine History in general. It's not a specific time, date, event or person. A history not written by the victors, but one which has been thoroughly studied and analyzed by objective and non-partisan historians. Isn't that what historians are for? To have an objective analysis of our history.

Imagine if our historians did just that. We wouldn't have considered Emilio Aguinaldo a hero, right? Or, maybe we still would. You simply have to consider everything--the time, the laws, the circumstances, the existing ideologies, world events, the two sides of the story. It's easy to ignore facts when it wouldn't fit your narrative. This is exactly what are "historians" did. They have made up their minds. This is how they thought history should be presented. Their way.

It is only now that more and more people have actually realized that our history as it is written have not been telling us the whole story. For years! Half-truths. Half-lies. This is why we have never really learned anything as a nation. And now, we demand an objective analysis of our history and the anti-Marcos crowd call it revisionism?

Facts, backed up not only by documents but also by existing realities, want to be known. Stories by people who also lived during those times want to be told. The victors chose to ignore these facts and these stories. And now, it's coming back to life--haunting them.

I believe Mulder when he said,

"...the truth will out and that no one lie can live forever. I believe it still. Much as you try to bury it, the truth is out there. Greater than your lies, the truth wants to be known. You will know it. It'll come to you, as it's come to me faster than the speed of light."

History is neither black nor white.  So, it is truly wise to keep an open mind.

I hope they have it in them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment