Friday, February 12, 2016

TV REVIEW: The X-Files - "Home Again"

0


[POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD]

You have probably read reviews about this episode and yes, most of them have been great reviews. It would be difficult to top those solid reviews, but then again, that is not the goal. While a lot of the reviews were solid, some pointed out that The X-Files Revival lacks direction or focus. I'll get back to that after my own little review of Home Again.

Home Again is probably one of the episodes I was most excited to watch because Glen Morgan wrote it. He just gives all the creeps in The X-Files and I live for it! "Give me the creeps!" Also, it's a Scully-centric episode, which I always love. Expect beautiful drama and lots of MSR moments. Guaranteed. Indeed, it was everything I had hoped for, except that I wish it was scarier. It was creepy, heartbreaking and a lot of "oh-my-shipper-heart" moments. 
 
Trashman was not as scary as expected but he's just plain creepy and violent. If pulling someone apart and turning their body parts into pieces isn't gory and violent then, I don't know what is. The song Downtown has also never been creepy 'til after watching the episode. It's a Glen Morgan thing, I suppose. Remember Home? Yeah. Glen Morgan and his song choices will give you the creeps. 

Home Again had been considered a Monster of the Week episode, but again, it's a mixture of both MOTW and mythology, in particular the William arc. Glen Morgan succeeded in connecting the "responsibility" and "guilt" in both story-lines. It was through the artist that Scully had the chance to reflect on the choice she made in giving William up for adoption and it was also her who pointed out that the artist was responsible for the Trashman. It's simple: We should always take responsibility of our creation. The artist took responsibility in the end because he had the opportunity to. Enter "smiley face" art. Scully, on the other hand cannot undo what she has already done. Putting William up for adoption has haunted her for years. She felt guilty. She felt responsible.

All throughout Gillian Anderson was at her best. She deserves all the awards!!! Kudos to David Duchovny too. The subtleties were wonderful! Amazing performance by those two. When we thought the crying was over, we were wrong. The end scene between Scully and Mulder, and the conversation they had was simply moving. Indeed, when Scully cries, we cry.

I know now why Mom asked for Charlie, even though he was out of her life. She wanted to know before she left that he'd be okay. She gave birth to him. She made him. He's her responsibility. And that's why she said what she said to us. She wanted to make sure that we'd be responsible to know that William's okay. Even though we can't see him. I know that as parents, we made a difficult sacrifice to keep him safe. That it was for his own good to put him up for adoption. But I can't help but think of him, Fox. I can't help it. I believe that you will find all of your answers. You will find the answers to the biggest mysteries, and I will be there when you do. But my mysteries...I'll never have answered. I won't know if he thinks of me, too, or if he's ever been afraid and wished that I was there. Does he doubt himself because we left him? What questions does he have of me? The same that I have with this quarter? And I want to believe...I need to believe, that we didn't treat him like trash.

know now why Mom asked for Charlie, even though he was out of her life. She wanted to know before she left that he'd be okay. She gave birth to him. She made him. He's her responsibility. And that's why she said what she said to us. She wanted to make sure that we'd be responsible to know that William's okay. Even though we can't see him. I know that as parents, we made a difficult sacrifice to keep him safe. That it was for his own good to put him up for adoption. But I can't help but think of him, Fox. I can't help it. I believe that you will find all of your answers. You will find the answers to the biggest mysteries, and I will be there when you do. But my mysteries... I'll never have answered. I won't know if he thinks of me, too, or if he's ever been afraid and wished that I was there. Does he doubt himself because we left him? What questions does he have of me? The same that I have with this quarter? And I want to believe... (sniffles) I need to believe, that we didn't treat him like trash.

Read more at: http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=174&t=25088
know now why Mom asked for Charlie, even though he was out of her life. She wanted to know before she left that he'd be okay. She gave birth to him. She made him. He's her responsibility. And that's why she said what she said to us. She wanted to make sure that we'd be responsible to know that William's okay. Even though we can't see him. I know that as parents, we made a difficult sacrifice to keep him safe. That it was for his own good to put him up for adoption. But I can't help but think of him, Fox. I can't help it. I believe that you will find all of your answers. You will find the answers to the biggest mysteries, and I will be there when you do. But my mysteries... I'll never have answered. I won't know if he thinks of me, too, or if he's ever been afraid and wished that I was there. Does he doubt himself because we left him? What questions does he have of me? The same that I have with this quarter? And I want to believe... (sniffles) I need to believe, that we didn't treat him like trash.

Read more at: http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=174&t=25088
That last line, nobody but Gillian Anderson can deliver that line as compelling and as believable as she did. Also notable, Mark Snow's music. It simply captured that particular moment beautifully. He is a musical genius.

Clearly, Scully had a lot of realizations in this episode and I think we did, too. "People treat people like trash", even with or without "responsibility", is true these days. The kind of society we have right now is enough proof. I think it's something we all should ponder about. That is, if we want to have a better society--people should treat people like they would treat themselves. Definitely, it's not trash.

And of course, the MSR moments! Chris may have wanted us to believe that Mulder and Scully have really broken up, but after watching this episode and the episodes before it, it did not seem like it. I mean, really, CC? You call this a break up? Hahaha. Mulder knows when something's up. The moment he heard Scully's "Okay..." while she was on the phone with her big brother, he knew there was something wrong. Even in that moment, Mulder was touchy-comforting Scully. The "I'm here" scene. The hospital bench scene. The "I want to work" scene. The flashlights. The log scene. I know, there are too many fragments in this paragraph, but if you think of it, it has a complete thought esp. if you have seen the episode. There's just too much love.

Finally, my take on the lack of focus and/or lack direction comment on the revival. I completely disagree.

Where does this lead to? Why was there a need to revive this show? These are the questions that linger the curious minds. Having watched the episodes more than I needed to, I would have to say that the revival has obviously been focusing on the William arc. Yes, the premiere gave too many conspiracy theories that have yet to be answered--alien DNA and government involvement, to be exact. However, the William story lines seem to be the more obvious focus in relation to alien DNA and the massive government conspiracy. Focus is clearly there. We asked for it, we got it. You just need to put all these pieces together, like a puzzle.

My theory, all 6 episodes are connected and we'll get to figure it all out once My Struggle II comes out. Just my 2 cents. William-alien DNA-government conspiracy. Also, SCULLY.

0 comments:

Post a Comment